Amazing how time flies!! We’ve reached Week #11 of the Soup of the Week Club at Clothworks. Pretty soon this weekly tradition may just turn into part of the Monday lunchtime routine here at the Works. The last time I looked at the sign-up sheet, repeat Soup of the Week Club members have started to add their name again to the bottom of the list.
This week’s crock pot creation is brought to us by Lorri, another wonderful lady that loves to spend time volunteering here. We love Lorri- we give her a task and she goes to town with it!! And that doesn’t stop at just the volunteering! This week’s soup selection was tremendously tasty and brimming with flavor!! Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup definitely hit the spot for me and my fellow Soup Club tasters. The combination of the beans, veggies, and ham packed a punch with my taste buds! Served with cheese rolls to sop up every last bit of soup goodness…Lorri knocked it out park with this hearty slow cooker delight!
Here’s the recipe :
Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup
(From the bag of HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup Beans)
YOU WILL NEED:
1 pkg Hurst’s Hambeens 15 bean soup
1 lb of ham, ham hocks, or smoked sausage
1 C. Onion, chopped (I used 1 lg. onion)
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ( I used 1 quart of diced tomatoes)
1-2 tbsp. Chili Powder
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 cloves Garlic (minced)
*(I also used 5 stalks of celery, sliced and about 2 cups of sliced carrots)
Soaking: Place beans in a large pot cover with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.
1. After soaking drain water, add 1½ quarts of water and meat.
2. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2½ hours.
3. After simmering, add onion, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon and garlic. Simmer for another 30 min to an hour.
4. I also added 5 stalks of celery sliced, and about 2 cups of sliced carrots.
5. Add contents of ham packet 1 to 2 minutes before cooking is completed. Salt & Pepper to taste. (since I used ham, I added no additional salt)
Check out the Slow Cooker recipe on the Hurst Beans website here.
See you next week with another soup recipe that’s sure to lend inspiration in the kitchen!